Co-editor (Kansas City, Kansas)
Reports to: Operations manager
Position level: Entry level
Job purpose: Write newsworthy stories for the Hispanic community in the area. And articles related to regional, national and international. Assist on the execution of the weekly newspaper. Attend community events outside and within the company.
Duties and responsibilities
• Attend two to three networking events on behalf of Dos Mundos monthly to connect with the Hispanic community.
• Attend editorial daily meetings and take notes to keep track of new editorial decisions, changes, etc.
• Create and update the editorial MAP daily.
• Write, translate (Spanish-English and English-Spanish), and edit articles.
• Perform interviews via phone or face-to-face.
• Seek, investigate and cover newsworthy stories.
• Edit overall newspaper on a weekly basis, including captions, headlines, copy, dates, names, etc.
• Proof newspaper pages when completed for errors/corrections needed before going to press.
• Upload issue to websites, issuu.com and dosmundos.com.
• Update website calendar of events as needed.
• Update social media on a regular basis with breaking news, events, movie promos, contests, severe weather alerts, client Facebook ads, etc.
• Responsible for maintaining subscriptions memberships.
• Update editorial calendar and suggest and track new ideas for future year.
• Backup Editorial Production Manager when on vacation; receiving articles, sending to translate and updating folders.
• Find photographers and writers who can contribute to the paper.
• Assist in answering phone calls when necessary.
• Other duties as requested.
• This position seeks a flexible, talented and motivated candidate with the ability to write, read and speak fluent English and Spanish.
• Must have previous experience in newspaper writing and editing. Or journalism studies.
• Be comfortable with providing editorial staff with suggestions for improvement, as well as suggesting innovative ideas that will further engage our readers.
• AP writing style preferred.
• This is a full-time position with regular office hours in our Kansas City, Kan., office. Some overtime work will be necessary during production days or as needed.
To apply, please submit your resume and three samples of your work to Maria Rodriguez at firstname.lastname@example.org