Communications intern (Lawrence, Kansas)
10-13 hours per week
This student position assists the director of external affairs. The communications intern will work on various projects spanning the outreach programs of the museum and the research programs of KU Biodiversity Institute scientists and students. Candidates with an interest in science writing are encouraged to apply.
Specific tasks may include:
• Reviewing and refreshing content for the museum's website, including conducting interviews and developing features
• Supporting our efforts in social media, such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
• Writing content for the museum's e-newsletter
• Assisting the director of external affairs with communications to the public, media, donors and museum members
• Junior, senior or graduate student level standing
• Majoring in journalism, communications, English, biology or a related field
• Strong English writing and editing skills as demonstrated by coursework, samples, resume and cover letter
• Familiarity with social media platforms as indicated in application materials
• Experience with basic Office software skills (Word, Excel) as evidenced by experience
• Available to work 10-12 hours per week during weekdays
During the semester term of the appointment, the student hourly must be enrolled in no fewer than 6 credit hours. For summer periods the student hourly must: 1) have enrolled in no less than 6 hours in the past spring semester or 2) be pre-enrolled in upcoming fall semester in no less than 6 hours or 3) be enrolled in summer session or 4) be admitted to study in the upcoming fall semester. Student hourlies may be undergraduate or graduate students. (Exceptions granted for GRA/GTA/GA appointments DO NOT apply to student hourly appointments.
• Experience with writing about science or research
• Proficiency with Adobe programs (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign)
• Experience with online content creation and/or video production
Additional candidate instruction
A complete application consists of the online application, resume and a cover letter outlining how qualifications are met. Application review begins April 17, 2017 and continues until positions are filled.
Contact information to applicants: Jen Humphrey, firstname.lastname@example.org
Advertised salary range: $12 per hour