Communications intern (Topeka, Kansas)
The Communications Intern will work on a variety of hands-on, portfolio building projects that support the rural electric cooperatives in Kansas. Your responsibilities could include such varied and engaging tasks as assisting with the publication of a monthly magazine, designing print materials, writing articles for the magazine and an internal newsletter, providing event support for youth programs, photography assignments, and more.
This full-time internship offers flexible start/end dates and will take into account your class schedule. The position works from the Kansas Electric Cooperatives Inc. headquarters in Topeka. Hours are flexible, but will be scheduled during business hours (8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday).
Skills and knowledge to be gained
• Hands-on experience in a variety of communication activities
• Opportunity to be published in a statewide magazine
• Build your portfolio by creating great projects and pieces
• Real world practice of meeting deadlines and multitasking
• Junior or senior in college majoring in communications, journalism, marketing, public relations or related field
• Strong written skills, including ability to write feature articles and press releases
• Strong visual design skills, including aptitude with the usual Adobe software, including Photoshop and InDesign (PC based)
• Excellent organizational skills
• Cheerful, friendly, upbeat outlook
• Track record of working well on team projects
• Digital photography experience
• Familiarity with Kansas and rural living
• Knowledge of AP Styleguide
Please send a letter of interest, resume and three references by Friday, March 24, 2017, to Shana Read at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Kansas Electric Cooperatives Inc., PO Box 4267, Topeka, KS 66604. Interviews will be held in Topeka in early April. Start and end dates will be based on the successful applicant's academic schedule (May-August).