Communications specialist (Kansas City, Missouri)
The communications specialist works directly with KCADC's vice president of communications as a key member of the KCADC marketing department. Serves as primary member of KCADC's communications and public relations team with an important role in communicating with members of the news media, KCADC investors and regional civic and business leaders.
Written communication (50 percent)
• Content creation and management of KCADC project announcement news release, blog and investor announcement; distribute news release to KC area media and national media consultant for national media distribution; email announcement to investors.
• Content creation and management of entire editorial process for KC Download bi-monthly marketing e-newsletter.
• Content creation and management of entire editorial process for KCnext.com, quarterly updates, site consultant outreach email and targeted social promotion.
• KC Options annual lifestyle magazine – actively contribute on editorial and publishing team with KCADC staff.
• Assist with event scripting, program outlines and Director's Agenda where necessary for signature KCADC events including Full Council Investor Briefing and Annual Meeting.
• Manage blog content for ThinkKC.com
• Editor, KC SmartPort e-news
• Editor, KC Animal Health Corridor Inside the Corridor e-news
Social media (30 percent)
• Curates, creates and schedules posts based on weekly editorial calendar.
• Empowers and engages KCADC staff, investors and the regional community in furthering the message with pre-drafted posts.
• Manages social media analytics to predict optimal content and timing of posts.
• Researches new strategies and best practices to keep KCADC on the leading edge.
• Guides KCADC initiatives in best practices and program developments.
• Oversees, advocates for and adheres to KCADC's social media policy.
Additional responsibilities (20 percent)
• Assist with announcement coordination with all necessary project partners.
• Assist with response and outreach to local and national media for TeamKC, KC Rising and KC SmartPort.
• America's Creative Crossroads interviews/content creation/monitoring of gallery profiles.
• Oversees photo coordination with communities and local partners.
• Attends KCADC meetings and events, including ED Alliance, Full Council Investor Briefings and Business Development events as necessary.
• Attends PRSA, SMCKC and/or KC IABC or similar professional organizational meetings as necessary.
• Builds relationships with area marketing and communications professionals as an ambassador of the Kansas City Area Development Council.
• Provides strategic input and content management for KC Rising.
• Prepare and submit relevant award entries.
• Other duties as necessary.
Education, experience and skills required
Bachelor's degree in communication, journalism, public relations or related field. Two to four years experience working in a full-service agency, public relations firm, on a non-profit or corporate communications team. In addition, the following attributes are essential:
• Exceptional writing skills that can be applied to a variety of communication tools.
• Familiar with business correspondence and AP style, especially grammar, punctuation and spelling.
• Leadership experience managing social media accounts on a variety of platforms.
• Experience with a variety of digital media tools. Special consideration will be given to those familiar with Sitefinity, Eventbrite, Exact Target and Google Analytics.
• Solid computer skills (Word, PowerPoint/Keynote, Excel, Outlook, Photoshop).
• Strong organizational skills and ability to effectively prioritize and complete multiple projects and assignments to meet deadlines.
• Strong verbal communication skills, creativity and visual orientation.
• Attentive to detail, extremely quality conscious, ability to communicate well by phone.
• Good interpersonal and relationship-building skills, including social media engagement.
• Positive "team" attitude and ability to work collaboratively across multiple disciplines and levels of experienced professionals.
• Self-starter, ability to take initiative and work independently to accomplish responsibilities.
• Proactive rather than reactive when dealing with new or difficult situations.
• Ability to use sound judgment in professionally representing KCADC in all situations.
• Live the KCADC values of integrity, excellence, leadership and service.
Contact Ashlie Hand, Vice President, Communication at Kansas City Area Development Council, at firstname.lastname@example.org to apply