Graduation - Ceremony Information
The School of Journalism's Spring Graduate Recognition Ceremony and Reception will be held Saturday, May 18, 2013 at the Lied Center (8:30 a.m.). The University of Kansas Commencement Ceremony will be held Sunday, May 19, at Memorial Stadium.
Both undergraduate and master's students who are graduating from the KU School of Journalism in May, August and December 2013 will be recognized at this ceremony.
A reception for you and your guests will follow the ceremony on the Stauffer-Flint Lawn (9:30 a.m.). The School of Journalism is very proud of all its graduates and sets this time aside to recognize each one individually.
All graduates will be asked to walk across the stage in caps and gowns to be recognized and receive a special keepsake.
**All Master's students must have a master's gown and BLACK tassel, maroon hood.
- You must apply for graduation on Enroll & Pay. May grads must apply by (March 1). If you have not yet applied for graduation on Enroll & Pay, you must do it by the deadline or your degree cannot be certified and you will not officially graduate.
- We do NOT require tickets for your guests. You are required to come to the Student Services Center (Room 117) on the first floor of Stauffer-Flint between (April 22 and May 10) between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., to pick up your name card. **Graduate students, you will pick up this information from Jammie Johnson in Room 115. You will fill out the name card and bring it to the graduation ceremony so the announcer can read your name when you cross the stage and also to identify you in your graduation photo. Make sure you fill out the card carefully and fully, including the phonetic spelling of your name. When you come to the dean's office you also will fill out a graduation survey so that we have your permanent address and career plans on file.
- To participate in the graduation ceremony, you MUST wear a cap and gown. Journalism School tassels are cardinal (deep red color). Information for students on caps and gowns, diplomas, announcements and other graduation information can be found on the KU Commencement Web site.
- Report the Lied Center on Saturday, May 18 (8 a.m.). Please do not be late. Please wear your caps and gowns. School staff and faculty will direct you from there.
- Bring your name card that you will give to the announcer. You will get the name card between April 22 and May 10 in Student Services Center (Room 117) **Graduate students, you will pick up this information from Jammie Johnson in Room 115. Complete all the information before you come to the Lied Center.
You must update your address AND your parents’ address through Enroll & Pay.
J-School faculty and staff will line you up for the processional. Dean Ann Brill will begin the procession promptly (8:30 a.m.). The faculty and master's degree graduates will be seated on the stage. Bachelor's degree graduates will be seated in the center front section on the main floor. Just follow the leader. All will remain standing until the procession is over, and then be seated all at once.
- During the recognition part of the program, you will hand your name card to the announcer on the stage; your name will be read as you cross the stage to receive your journalism keepsake and the congratulations of the track heads and Dean Brill. NOTE: IF YOU FEEL THAT YOUR NAME MAY BE MISPRONOUNCED, PLEASE MAKE PHONETIC PRONUNCIATION MARKS ON THE NAME CARD TO HELP THE ANNOUNCER.
- Photographers will take your picture on stage and photos will be available for you to purchase later.
- At the end of the program, there will be a faculty recessional, followed by a student recessional. (Just follow the leader.)
- Enjoy the reception with your family and friends after the ceremony. CONGRATULATIONS! WE WILL SEE YOU THERE!
If you have any questions about the event, please contact the J-School at 785-864-4755.