Mugur V. Geana, MD, PhD, is associate professor of strategic communication at the William Allen White School of Journalism and Mass Communications. He is also the director of the Center for Excellence in Health Communication to Underserved Populations and holds an honorary faculty appointment with the Research Division, Department of Family Medicine, KU Medical Center. Geana’s interest in applied research and strategic communication campaigns allowed him to contribute to projects for the Kansas Department of Health and Environment and the Kansas Department of Transportation, as well as in other grants and projects totaling more than $5 million over the last five years. Geana founded the Experimental Research Media Laboratory at the School of Journalism and Mass Communications, a major research resource for our graduate program. Geana is the principal investigator for multidisciplinary research collaboration between KU and the University of Costa Rica addressing public health interventions to underserved communities in Central America, as well as for a grant from the Washington University in St. Louis focused on finding optimized ways of delivering updated health information about diabetes to American Indians. Geana teaches strategic communication campaigns at undergraduate level and research theory and methods at graduate level. He is the recipient of the prestigious 2011 Baskett-Mosse award from the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication.
- Geana, M.V., Greiner, K.A., Cully, A., Talawyma, M., Daley Makosky C. (2012) “Improving Health promotion to American Indians in the Midwest United States: Preferred Sources of Health information and its use for the Medical Encounter.” Journal of Community Health (in press).
- Geana, M.V., Daley Makosky C., Nazir, N., Cully, L., Etheridge, J., Bledowski, C., Choi, W.S., Greiner, K.A. (2012) “Use of Online Health information Resources by American Indians and Alaska Natives.” Journal of Health Communication (in press).
- Greiner KA, Geana, M.V., Epp, A, Watson, A., Fillipi, M, Makosky-Daley, C., Engelman KK, James, AS, Campbell, M. (2012) “Development of an “implementation intentions” intervention to promote colorectal cancer screening.” Technology and Healthcare journal (in press).
- Geana M.V., Kimminau, K.S., Greiner, K.A. (2011). “Sources of Health Information in a Multiethnic, Underserved, Urban Community: Does Ethnicity Matter?” Journal of Health Communication, 16(6):583-94
- Geana M.V., Greiner, K.A. (2011). “Health Information and the Digital Divide.” Journal of Management and Marketing in Healthcare, 4(2),