News director (Wichita, Kansas)
KWCH-TV, the news leader in Wichita and Western Kansas, is seeking an experienced news director to lead its award-winning staff. A passion to win weather, breaking news and the big story is a must.
Eyewitness News produces more than 50 hours of local programming each week on KWCH, sister station KSCW and also produces a Spanish language newscast on KDCU. In addition, you'll oversee a 24-hour weather channel, two dynamic websites including one dedicated to high school sports, and apps for news, weather and sports. You'll manage the largest news staff in the market with more resources (a drone, three Dejeros, two TVU's, three live trucks, a satellite truck), new cameras and soon a brand new news set. In addition, you'll help lead the Edward R. Murrow Award winning FactFinder12 investigation team. Do your homework before you apply and you'll know why this is a great opportunity.
The right candidate brings prior news director or news manager experience, and an understanding of how to motivate, challenge and lead a team in a "digital first" environment while developing and implementing a strategic plan for success all platforms. You should be well-versed in social media strategies as well as producing newscasts in metered markets and have a clear understanding of both Nielsen and ComScore ratings systems.
The ideal candidate will have:
• A proven record of success in leadership, news judgment, social media growth and talent development.
• A successful track record utilizing multimedia digital assets, maximizing how news is covered and distributed
• Success in growing ratings within key demographics
• A passion for production and storytelling, combined with an unwavering commitment to journalistic ethics and standards
• A community-minded spirit and vision to expand the stations' outreach through its coverage of the events impactful to the greater region we serve
• Experience working with departmental budgets
• Ability to teach and lead by example while using the latest technology
• Broadcast journalism, communications or related degree from an accredited four-year college or university
• Or equivalent experience and a minimum of five years news management experience
Don't miss this chance to work for one of the best broadcasting companies in the business — Gray Television — at their dynamic operation in Wichita, which executes more like a top 30 market than a top 70. The position offers a competitive wage and comprehensive benefit package, including group health and dental, paid time off, 401(k) and more.