Graduates of the School will:
- Appreciate the value of freedom of expression and its importance in society.
- Be able to critically analyze mass media.
- Have an ethical framework for the practice of journalism and mass communication.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the value of a diverse society, a diverse work place and the importance of reflecting that diversity in mass media. (J-School's Diversity Statement)
- Demonstrate an understanding of the impact of changing media technologies on society.
- Demonstrate effective production and presentation skills for the media.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the importance of research for adding new knowledge and an ability to employ research techniques for analysis and interpretation.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how communications organizations function and the important management issues they face.
Adopted by a unanimous vote of the faculty on Sept. 3, 1998.