Photojournalist (Wichita, Kansas)
A part-time Photojournalist to join the #1-rated news team in Kansas. This individual will gather and generate visual content for on-air and on-line by shooting video, editing video, and taking still shots.
We’re seeking someone with 1-3 years of shooting and editing. A high school diploma or equivalent is required, with a Bachelor’s degree in a related field such as Journalism preferred. A valid driver’s license, along with a good driving record, is also required.
• Shoot news video that accurately and fairly represents news stories
• Edit video and audio for broadcast, promos, and teases
• Demonstrates sound news judgment and ability to tell stories with pictures and natural sound
• Must be able to utilize non-linear editing equipment on a daily basis
• Properly maintain camera, editing equipment, and station vehicle
• Must be a visual storyteller and have the ability to come up with creative stand-ups and ways to explain a story
• Communicate with reporters, writers, and producers on video needed for news stories
• Operate live ENG equipment and vehicles
• Write stories for on-air and on-line
• Keep track of edited news stories for broadcast, maintain archive
• Respond to breaking news or urgent newsroom situations
• Participates in story selection process through meetings; attendance at editorial meetings is required
• Responsible for ensuring all goals and objectives are being met and training sessions are attended
• Must demonstrate the drive to grow and learn as well as offer creativity every day.
• Ability to work well with co-workers and in a professional manner is required.
• Critique, feedback and training are part of the job
• Required to observe all safety regulations in-house and when in the field.
• Perform other duties as assigned • Work evenings, weekends and holidays as needed • Collect information by interviewing and taking notes (e.g. news conferences)
• Load raw video and still photos to the Web site
• Communicate with the newsroom staff during breaking news
• Write copy for the Web and newscasts after shooting VOs and VO/SOTs
• Manage storage space in video clip bins and maintain a still photo library
• Explore ways to increase visual content on the Web site
• Working knowledge of local geography and road routes is strongly preferred.
• Follow clothing and appearance guidelines
Essential Skills & Abilities:
• Able to write and edit stories, work with reporters
• Capable of gathering information and interviews when necessary, conduct online research
• Able to communicate clearly
• Ability to shoot video in sequences and still photos that help tell the story for on-air and on-line
• Ability to edit video and still photos to match story for on-air or on-line
• Knowledge of lighting and use of NAT sound
• Must possess the ability to shoot and edit on non-linear equipment and to adapt to new technology.
• Generate story ideas; identify potential stories; create and coordinate interviews
• Ability to condense large amounts of information and video into short stories for newscasts
• Must be able to operate Microsoft Windows software
• Ability to operate news related software is preferred
• Must be able to work well under pressure with limited supervision and daily deadlines
• Ability to stay current with national and local news/weather
• Strong initiative and attention to detail is required
• Ability to remain positive and foster a positive work environment
• Understanding of and ability to follow and enforce the journalistic code of ethics
• Must be capable of working well with others in challenging work environments to produce the best product for the viewer.
• Working knowledge of ENG trucks preferred
• Must be able to operate station vehicles as the need and situation dictate.
• Working knowledge of web posting software
• Working knowledge of social media
• Must be capable of utilizing 3 point lighting or capable of learning the process.
• NPPA style photographer preferred
2815 E 37th St N
Wichita KS 67219
KWCH-TV / Gray Television Group, Inc. participates in E-Verify, is a drug-free company and requires pre-employment drug testing. Also, if applicable to the position, MVR/Driver’s review and testing. EOE (All positions must show flexibility for evolving or changing operational needs. Hours, shifts, responsibilities, etc. are subject to change at management discretion.) Gray Television Group, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical handicap or marital status. Discriminatory employment practices are specifically prohibited by the Federal Communications Commission. If you believe your Equal Employment Rights have been violated, you may contact the FCC in Washington, D.C. 20054, or other appropriate state or local agencies.