Reporter (Topeka, Kansas)
KCUR 89.3 is the NPR affiliate in Kansas City and is an editorially independent community service of the University of Missouri-Kansas City. See www.kcurorg/jobs for information about KCUR and Kansas City.
Do you want to tell personal stories and hold people of power accountable? KCUR is seeking a full-time reporter to cover health, education and politics — with a strong consumer focus — for KCUR's Kansas News Service in Topeka. The news service, a collaboration of public media stations across the state, offers a remarkable opportunity for an ambitious reporter to dig deeper on significant local, regional and national issues.
This reporter will brainstorm, research, write, report and produce spot news, digital reports and long-form audio features. He or she also will create social content to accompany stories, will participate in community engagement efforts, and will appear on talk shows, podcasts and community panels, as needed.
The successful candidate for this position will be able to work on diverse projects simultaneously and across platforms in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment; take direction and work collaboratively with various personalities; and produce to the highest journalistic standards.
• Identify, research, pitch, write, report, edit and voice a wide variety of spots, two-ways, and feature stories for morning and afternoon newsmagazines, local talk shows, and national programs (as appropirate).
• Create news reports, features and research — including graphics interpretive charts and photos — for website, social media platforms and newspaper partners.
• Stay abreast of daily developments and develop broad geographic knowledge, sources, and topical expertise in regard to Kansas to produce stories that serve the Kansas News Service mission.
• Anticipate and respond to breaking news.
• Participate in news planning meetings to suggest story ideas and help focus story angles.
• Contribute segment ideas and appear as a guest or host on KCUR's local talk shows, podcasts and community events, as needed.
• Collaborate with the Kansas News Service's in-state partners and national entities to share content across multiple platforms.
• Collaborate with other KCUR reporters and talk show producers on projects.
• Handle newscasts and/or announcing as needed.
• Edit features and spots for other reporters.
• Participate in all assigned fund-raising and outreach activities, on air and off.
• Other duties as assigned.
This position reports to the editor of the Kansas News Service.
A bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience and at least three years of experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired is necessary.
• Five years experience producing news content for digital and social platforms.
• One year of work experience in a radio, news or public media organization.
• Ability to cover breaking news as well as report through long-form, innovative storytelling.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and good news judgment.
• Aggressive, enthusiastic, and self-motivated approach to daily news coverage.
• Ability to multitask and work on diverse projects simultaneously in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
• Demonstrated ability to take direction and work collaboratively with various personalities.
• Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines.
• Ability and willingness to work a varied schedule.
• Enthusiasm for the role of public media in a changing journalism environment.
• Experience with digital audio editing (e.g Adobe Audition), field reporting equipment and other audio production tools.
Anticipated hiring rate: $47,476-$52,000, commensurate with experience.
Review of applications begin on June 26, 2017. This position will remain open until filled.
Apply online: www.umkc.edu/jobs Applicants must combine all materials (cover letter, resume and list of three references with contact information) into one PDF or Microsoft Word document and upload as a resume attachment.
Maximum size limit is 11MB. Do not include special characters (e.g., /,&, %, etc.).
If you are experiencing technical problems, please call 855-524-0002.