Sports/news reporter (Montrose, Colorado)
Hours: 40 hours weekly
Nature of work
• Provides local news coverage with a focus on local news, general assignment news and sports reporting.
• Research and gather information to write stories of local interest from throughout Montrose County, keeping a peripheral eye on big stories from Delta, Ridgway and other nearby jurisdictions.
• Develops story ideas for approval by managing editor.
• May be assigned multiple beats; is expected to cultivate and maintain contacts and sources within beats.
• Keeps supervisor apprised of story status at all times.
• A reporter also may be asked to paginate pages and take photos or video.
• Provide comprehensive local news and sports coverage by covering events, meetings and subjects as well as using enterprise and initiative to find important stories.
• Writes stories for publicaiton; posts breaking stories on website immediately.
• Write news stories as assigned or agreed upon with editor.
• Provides high-quality photographs and/or video for publication, when necessary.
• Cultivate and maintain excellent communications with contacts on assigned beats.
• Develop story ideas.
• Paginates pages as required.
• Edit copy when needed.
• Assist in th eplanning of news/event coverage.
• Other duties as outlined by supervisor.
• May travel out of town to cover assignments.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Must be able to travel to and from assignments.
• Strong and accurate communication skills.
• Excellent reporting and writing skills.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks.
• Ability to use a computer proficiently.
• Must be able to work effectively and efficiently under deadline.
• Must have reliable vehicle with proof of automobile insurance.
• Must have valid driver's license with clean driving record.
• Must work effectively with others, including news sources and peers.
• Must be able to work flexbile shifts.
• Minimum one year experience. Will consider equivalent training or experience and/or proven academic achievement.
Computer experience required, knowledge of pagination software preferred. Photography/video ability helpful.
• This person will work in the office and in the field covering assignments.