Strategic communications intern (Kansas City)
Student will support the strategic communication efforts of the University of Kansas Medical Center and the department of Family Medicine through completion of various writing assignments, including departmental newsletters, annual reports, website updates and maintenance of departmental social media sites. Student will report to the administrative assistant for the department chair and work closely with departmental administrative leadership and the University of Kansas Medical director of communications.
Key roles and responsibilities
• Draft stories to place in appropriate media: departmental newsletters, KUMC publications, KUMC.edu, Center Express, etc.
• Work with departmental division heads and administrative leadership to create a monthly newsletter. Prepare division reports, and gather information throughout the year to write and facilitate publication of the department's annual report.
• Update and maintain departmental web pages, working with division heads to keep division pages current. Ensure that division websites meet the standards of quality recommended by KUMC's department of Internet Development and Public Affairs.
• Update content on social media sites and develop and deploy social media campaigns, adhering to KUMC Social Media Policy.
• Initiate ideas for promoting education, research, patient care and community service missions of the department through communications. Participate in regular meetings with other communicators on campus.
• Assist with developing a repository of photographs, images, and document templates that may be used by others in the department for email, print and digital communications.
• Foster and maintain effective working relationships with the department's faculty to develop story ideas and serve as a communications resource.
• Work with department administrator, chair and faculty to develop the Department Annual Report, and other reports that may be published regularly or from time to time.
• Assist the chair, administrator or research division in developing presentations, posters, banners or other audiovisual materials (PowerPoint, slides, posters)
• Assist with special events, community projects and promotions in support of communication strategies.
For more information, contact Hannah Rachford, executive assistant, at email@example.com