Undergraduate FAQ

What undergraduate degrees can I earn?
Undergraduate students earn a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in one of two tracks: News and Information or Strategic Communication. The school offers a journalism minor as well.
Which track should I select?
If you see yourself reporting, writing or editing news — online, broadcast or print — choose the News and Information track. If you see yourself developing advertising, public relations, marketing, messaging, branding or promotional campaigns, or working to help corporations, governments or organizations communicate, choose the Strategic Communication track. 
What will my course load be like?
A normal semester load is 15 hours. Undergraduate Journalism majors take 40 hours of coursework in the J-School. The B.S. program also requires a generous sampling of courses in the humanities, social sciences and natural sciences. Upper-level courses, internships and jobs on the University Daily Kansan, The Agency, KUJH-TV or Media Crossroads provide valuable experience but require considerable time.
What about a double major?
Absolutely! Journalism students are well-rounded with a variety of interests. A non-journalism major or minor is required as part of your degree. See an advisor for details.
What is the faculty like?
Faculty at the J-School are very student-centered. All faculty members are experts in their fields, and many are leaders in professional organizations. They bring real-world experience to the classroom but also serve as mentors for students. See profiles of individual faculty members here. 
What about internships and job placement?
The Journalism Career Center offers leads, tips, coaching and other assistance in getting both internships while in school and jobs after graduation. Employers from around the United States come to the school throughout each year to interview candidates for internships and jobs.
How do I apply to the School?
Please see full admission requirements online. If you have any questions about your status, please contact Ashley Anguiano, recruitment and retention coordinator at 785-864-4768.
I'm not majoring in journalism but want to take some journalism courses. Which can I take?
Please see this list for journalism courses that all KU students can take.
Can I get a scholarship?
The School of Journalism awards a variety of scholarship funds donated by alumni and friends of the school. These are awarded through the KU Endowment Association. The deadline for scholarship applications is Dec. 1 of each academic year. Visit our scholarship information page for details. At this year's awards and scholarships ceremony, the J-School recognized over 150 outstanding students with more than $430,000 in scholarships and awards. See additional opportunities for journalism students here. KU's external scholarship site, www.scholarships.ku.edu, is an excellent resource for external scholarships.
Where can I get more information?
Student Services Office
Stauffer-Flint Hall, 1435 Jayhawk Blvd., Room 117, Lawrence, KS 66045-7575
(785) 864-4080 | jadvising@ku.edu

Still have questions?

Student Services Office
Stauffer-Flint Hall, 1435 Jayhawk Blvd., Room 117, Lawrence, KS 66045-7575
(785) 864-4080 | jadvising@ku.edu

Follow the J-School

Follow KU Law on Facebook   Follow KU Law on Twitter   Join the KU Law Alumni Group on LinkedIn   Follow KU Law on YouTube  Follow KU Law on Instagram

71 percent of classes have 30 or fewer students
Journalism students graduate with portfolios of work created for professional clients
The Journalism Career Center helps students discover internships, jobs and careers
The journalism school's new minimester allows students to complete a class online between semesters
The school launched its journalism Ph.D. program in 2012
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
26 prestigious Rhodes Scholars — more than all other Kansas colleges combined