Weekend anchor/weekday reporter (Topeka, Kansas)
The top rated, award winning station in Northeast Kansas, WIBW-TV, is recruiting a highly motivated, aggressive reporter, who will anchor weekend newscasts. A Multimedia Journalist (MMJ) is a dynamic storyteller that collects, analyzes and reports facts about newsworthy events through interviews, videos, investigation and / or observation for all platforms in a clear, engaging and meaningful way to local viewers.
Applicants must display multi-tasking ability to master broadcast, web and social media platforms on a daily basis. #1 team needs fast learner, with ability to become a star player, who fits into a team environment.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
• Shooting/editing daily content for newscasts, website, and social media
• Reports news stories for daily broadcasts
• Operating portable live unit, conducting live shots from the field
• Generating story ideas and building local contacts
• Must be able to work a flexible schedule depending on news events
• Obtaining information about news through research, interviews, experience, and / or attendance at local event functions
• Follows up on tips that lead to news stories
• Reviews copy and corrects errors in content, grammar and punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines
• Determines a story’s emphasis, length and format, and organizes material accordingly
• Produces and presents reports for all platforms.
• Ensures that all content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality
• Writes stories for the web and other digital platforms
• Interacts with viewers/users on social media sites.
• Performs other duties as assigned by Management
Required Skills & Experience:
• Minimum one (1) year experience in a commercial newsroom, preferred.
• BS/BA in journalism or communications
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Computer literacy, including newsroom computer systems
• Schedule flexibility
• Videography and non-linear editing experience
• A valid driver`s license and a good driving record
• College graduates encouraged to apply
To apply for this job, go to: www.gray.tv/applynow
Deadline: April 30, 2017