J-School students, faculty and staff: It’s a challenging time as we adjust our campus environment to protect everyone against COVID-19. We ask all to be patient and understanding and take care of themselves and others. Here is an update on changes in the J-School for the fall semester.
Students can view their class schedule in Enroll & Pay. You will need to log in with your online ID and password.
Before making changes to your schedule, we suggest contacting your journalism academic advisor to see how changes may impact your degree progress, financial aid or academic standing. The academic calendar also determines how changes can be made (online or with written permission only) and tuition refund percentages. For enrollment how-to’s, please visit https://sis.ku.edu/enrollpay-student.
First, review your fall schedule to see if any of your classes are already being taught online. If you still need to request an adaptation, get in contact with your journalism academic advisor to discuss courses that must be taken in the fall. It might be possible to substitute in-person or hybrid classes for fully online classes for the fall semester.
Log into Jayhawk GPS via jayhawkgps.ku.edu. You will see a blue button labeled “Schedule Appointment.” The journalism advisors are Dan McCarthy, Eddie Muñoz and Frances Lyons. You can schedule an appointment with any of them. You must go through all the steps and click “Confirm Appointment” to complete the process.
All journalism advising appointments will be over Zoom or phone. When you schedule, you will receive an appointment confirmation with the Zoom link. If you would rather call your advisor, their phone number will also be listed in the appointment confirmation.
You are welcome to contact any of the advisors, but we generally follow an alpha split based on the first letter of your last name.
- A-H = Eddie Muñoz, email@example.com, 785-864-6656
- I-L and V-Z = Frances Lyons, firstname.lastname@example.org, 785-864-6354
- M-U = Dan McCarthy, email@example.com, 785-864-7621
Students can also email the advising team at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 785-864-4080. At this time, our physical office is closed while advisors work remotely.
Log into Jayhawk GPS via jayhawkgps.ku.edu. Click on the “Reports” tab to view “Appointment Summaries” and “Notes” that have been entered for you. Under “Appointment Summaries,” click the View Report link under Details to see a summary of previous discussions with advisors.
Building & health protocols
- Stauffer-Flint West (nearest Wescoe Hall) will be the two entry points for the building.
- Stauffer-Flint East (nearest Watson Library) will be an exit point for the building.
- Stauffer-Flint main double doors (facing Jayhawk Blvd.) will be an exit point for the building.
- Stand-alone instructional signs will be posted at all entry and exit doors.
- Stauffer-Flint West (nearest Wescoe Hall leading to the Resource Center) will be an “UP ONLY” stairwell.
- Stauffer-Flint East (nearest Watson Library) will be a “DOWN ONLY” stairwell.
- Stauffer-Flint Center (facing south) will be an “UP ONLY” stairwell.
- Only one person in the elevator at a time.
- The elevator is reserved for those with needs.
- Stand-alone signs are posted in stairwells and on the elevator doors.
- Groups of more than three cannot congregate in hallways. Social distancing is required.
- Benches and other seating will be removed.
- U.S. road rules apply: Stay to the far right of the hallways while walking.
- Walk single file with at least 6 feet of distance between people.
- Limited capacity in restrooms
- Recommend no more than two people in a restroom at one time
- Those waiting to use the restroom should abide by 6-foot distancing rule while waiting outside the entrance.
- Trash cans will be outside the restroom.
- Foot plates will be attached to doors.
- Drinking fountains will be not be available. Bottle filling stations will remain operational.
The guidelines were developed for classes that meet in Stauffer-Flint Hall. The guidelines do not account for J-School classes that meet in other buildings on campus.
- Students will enter a classroom single-file, 6 feet apart.
- Everyone will wear a mask into the Stauffer-Flint Hall, in the classroom and during class.
- When entering the classroom, students will take a sanitary wipe provided by the J-School and wipe down assigned seating area.
- Students will be assigned a seat in each class for the semester, which will be spaced at least 6 feet apart.
- Instructors will use a video camera and table mic located in the classroom.
- Instructors will use a sanitary wipe to clean their work space each day.
- No physical sign-in sheets.
- Classes will be dismissed 5 minutes early to accommodate departure (50-minute classes will be 45 minutes; 75-minute classes will be 70 minutes).
- Students will depart the classroom single-file, 6 feet apart.
- Students will not approach the instructor after class to ask questions.
- Instructors will provide ample time for questions during class time.
- If students need to meet with the instructor, a virtual meeting can be arranged.
- No face-to-face office visits. Instructors will host virtual office hours each week.
- At-risk students are encouraged to avoid coming to class and to work online and/or virtual only.
- If a person on campus do not abide by the guidelines, a friendly reminder will be provided. Per University protocol, violations of this policy by faculty, staff, affiliates, vendors, and visitors should be reported to Human Resource Management. Violations of this policy by students should be reported to Student Affairs.
- Everyone entering the building will wear a mask and at all times while inside Stauffer-Flint Hall.
- The school can provide masks if necessary.
- Automatic hand sanitizer dispensers will be installed at several locations on each floor of the building.
- Sanitary wipes will be provided in each classroom.
- Anyone with a fever or symptoms of illness cannot enter the building.
- A limited number of students will be allowed in video/audio studio at one time.
- Students cannot closely congregate in open spaces or classrooms. Please abide by the 6 foot social distancing rule.
- The UDK will not occupy the Susanne Shaw Media Center, Stauffer-Flint 107
- The Agency students will not occupy Stauffer-Flint 201.
- The advising office will only meet with students in a virtual setting.
- J-Bar instruction will be virtual only.
- The Bremner Editing Center will be virtual only.
- The Career Center will only meet with students in a virtual setting.
- The Resource Center will be open. Social distancing guidelines will be in place.
- The Faculty Lounge will be open. Social distancing guidelines will apply.
- Student organizations will not meet in-person. Virtual meetings online.
If a J-School student, staff member or faculty contracts COVID-19 and has been in the building, the following protocols will be implemented.
- Infected students, staff members or faculty should not return until they have met CDC’s criteria to discontinue home isolation.
- The CDC recommends closing off areas used by someone who has been infected. Do not use these areas until after cleaning and disinfecting.
- Per CDC recommendations, wait at least 24 hours before cleaning and disinfecting. The classroom or space where the infection might have occurred will remain closed for at least 48 hours. In the meantime, classes scheduled for those classrooms will move online.
- In accordance with state and local laws and regulations, school administrators should notify local health officials, staff, and students immediately of any case of COVID-19 while maintaining confidentiality in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- The infected student, staff member or faculty will not be allowed in Stauffer-Flint Hall until a 14-day quarantine and a negative test for COVID-19.