Assistant News Director
The Assistant News Director plays a crucial role in the daily operations of the news department at KCTV. This position involves working closely with the News Director to oversee all aspects of news production, editorial content, and team management. The Assistant News Director contributes to the station's overall strategic direction, fosters a collaborative newsroom environment, and helps ensure the delivery of accurate and compelling news coverage.
Qualified, interested applicants may go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on "apply now", upload your resume, cover letter, and references
Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Gray’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Gray Television encourages all new employees to be fully vaccinated against the coronavirus virus prior by the first workday
Fairway - 66205
Duties/Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
1. Editorial Leadership - Assist the News Director in developing and executing the station's news strategy.
- Participate in editorial meetings to determine news coverage priorities and story assignments.
- Review scripts and provide feedback to reporters and producers to maintain high journalistic standards.
- Make decisions regarding breaking news coverage and story placement.
2. Newsroom Management- Supervise newsroom staff, including reporters, producers, assignment editors, and other team members.
- Oversee the daily news production process, ensuring deadlines are met and content is of the highest quality.
- Collaborate with various departments (e.g., production, promotions, digital) to coordinate news coverage across platforms.
3. Staff Development- Mentor and provide guidance to newsroom personnel, fostering professional growth and skill development.
- Conduct performance evaluations and offer constructive feedback to team members.
- Identify training opportunities to enhance the skills and capabilities of the news team.
4. Content Innovation- Stay current with industry trends and new technologies to identify opportunities for content innovation.
- Work with the digital team to develop and implement strategies for online and social media news content.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, or a related field.
- Extensive experience in newsroom operations, with a track record of progressive responsibility.
- Strong editorial judgment and a commitment to journalistic integrity.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Proficiency in digital and social media platforms.
If you feel you’re qualified and want to work with a great group of people go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on "apply now", upload your resume, cover letter and references.
Apply Online URL: